Life is Uncertain. Don't Sip.

Wow, what a week. Dominated the GMAT, repaired an oil leak on my car, worked out a lot after being out of the gym with too much GMAT studying, went out a few times for birthdays and what not, and read "Changes," the newest Dresden Files novel by Jim Butcher. AWESOME book yet again, a fact in which I had no doubt though it does end on a bit of a cliffhanger that will make this year's wait a lot worse than most until the next book comes out (for any Dresden fans, I hear the working name of the next novel is "Ghost Stories").

Anyway, Not sure if I've mentioned it on here before but this coming Thursday, I get to sample a bottle of Utopias, an extremely rare 27 percent ABV Sam Adams brew. You know that tingly feeling you got in your stomach just before you had your first kiss or something else like that... yea, well that is what I am getting when I think about drinking this brew. Very excited needless to say. Some buddies of mine will all be bringing a bottle of something nice and one is bring it! I think I'll bring a quad (maybe Sixth Glass or The Reverend).

Today, I am happy to be having Maximus IPA from Lagunitas. Maximus is an American double or Imperial IPA which Beer Advocate tells us about here: "Take an India Pale Ale and feed it steroids, ergo the term Double IPA. Although open to the same interpretation as its sister styles, you should expect something robust, malty, alcoholic and with a hop profile that might rip your tongue out. The Imperial usage comes from Russian Imperial stout, a style of strong stout originally brewed in England for the Russian Imperial Court of the late 1700s; though Double IPA is often the preferred name. You can thank west coast American brewers for this somewhat reactionary style. 'Thanks!'"

I've had this beer on several occasions (just like most of the beers I am starting out with in this blog) and it is one that you should not be drinking very cold. I would recommend 45-55 degrees or so, as the aroma and hop flavors really come out when it isn't so cod, but that is just a guess at around where I like to drink it as I do not keep a thermometer around. It pours copper with a low head that nonetheless coats the glass. The aroma has grapefruit, pine and those awesome citrus hops, all of which are present in the taste. The pleasant citrus-y hops stick with you well after the beer is gone. Though I do love the flavor, I think its fault is being a little too drinkable(That doesn't sound too bad you say? I'll explain, don't worry). As beer advocate explains above, these double IPAs should be ripping out your tongue and as bad as it sounds to some people, others look for the most bitter IPAs they can find in this style (myself included) and Maximus, like a ton of the brews in this style, could use a little more tongue ripping.

That said, I do love this beer and it probably sells to a larger audience due to the fact that everyone still has their tongue intact. It is funny though because though it may not mess up your tongue it is advertised to mess you up, "At the height of the heat in the heart of the summer, we felt the only cure was a raging mouthful of fresh Hops and Malt. Caution: May remove enamel from teeth." This is just an example of the hilarity that is on each bottle of Lagunitas various brews. They brew like brewers should, listing all their ingredients on each bottle, "Ounces and ounces of Malt, Hops, Yeast, and water." They keep it simple and I have yet to find a Lagunitas brew I do not like as in all of their beers, they are not stingy with the hops and are serious about brewing (their taproom is called The Beer Sanctuary). Also, check out their caps and most of their labels at that if you like dogs.

If you like Lagunitas, their pint glasses are only 2 dollars a pop if you use the number on their website (much cheaper than I have found with other brewers). Anyway, it's been fun but alas, it is time we say goodbye. Until next time, same beer time (not a guarantee) same beer place! Anyone hate winter or another season as much as I do?

Cheers!

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer. -Abraham Lincoln

 Link of the Day
Category:

No comments:

Post a Comment