Utopias, P90X, Microfest

You guys like the new logo? Wow, what a weekend and what a busy couple of days after the weekend. Alumni weekend was a definite success. It felt like I had went back in time four years because everyone was back and having a good time. Sports were played (maybe a little slower than they use to be), drinks were had, girls were flirted with, more drinks were had, and general mayhem abounded. Good times but I won't bore you with the details, unless that is you want to hear about this beer (called Utopias) I happened to have. I know, no big deal right? Well four of us split the bottle and it definitely lived up to the expectations I had for it. I'm not going to say it was the best beer I've ever had, not even the top five or so, but it was undoubtedly the most unique beer I've had.

Like I said, four of us split the bottle so ended up getting a fair quantity of this titan (27% ABV) and boy was I happy about that. Pours a hazy amber, no head. The aroma is awesome after a minute or two to let it open up. It smells very sweet, like maple syrup with a vanilla quality to it. The taste surprised me because of a few things. Firstly, the heat is prevalent as would be expected but not as much as you would think. It is covered very well by the rich, sweetness. The second thing that surprised me was the lack of bite. I expected a much bigger bite but that is not to say I was disappointed, just pleased by in different ways. It had a silky, vanilla-oak finish that sticks with you quite a while after each drink. There is no carbonation whatsoever which was expected for an after-dinner type beer that is to be served at room temperature. In truth, even though it is brewed as a beer, it has much more in common with a nice cognac. Very drinkable to those who like a heavier drink, goes down easy and would probably sneak up on you if you kept drinking it all night.

Utopias is classified as an " American Strong Ale." Beer Advocate, in its infinite wisdom, tells us: [This] catch all style category is for beers from 7.0 percent alcohol by volume and above. Some may even be as high as 25% abv. Characteristics will greatly vary; some have similarities to Barley-wines and Old Ales. Barrel aging is certainly not out of the question.

As you can see, being an American Strong Ale, doesn't tell you much about the beer. So let's go to Sam Adam's description of this beer. Sam Adam's website says that Utopias is meant to be "reminiscent of a deep, rich vintage Port, fine Cognac or aged sherry while being surprisingly light on the palate.  And like the world’s finest after-dinner drinks, Samuel Adams Utopias is not carbonated and should be served at room temperature." It  is fermented and conditioned using a pair of proprietary yeast strains (Rouge's "Pacman" yeast is probably the best known proprietary yeast), which are yeast strains developed and solely used by certain breweries. Another fun fact about this beer is that, due to legal restrictions, it is not offered in the states of Alabama, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Missouri (the state I drank it), New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Washington, or West Virginia.

So yea, good stuff overall, I doubt I'll fork up any money to have it again but I'm glad I had it the once. Besides that, I got a new Cyber Pro lacrosse head and strung it (green and orange), Finished my MBA application and start P90X. P90X is a workout program for people who are already in shape and have either lost motivation or hit a plateau in their fitness progress. I am hoping to use the program to get back to working out every day and possible lose about ten or fifteen pounds. I will admit that though I will try and eat right, I will not be following the diet and I have never been one to supplement but I am hoping that the intensity of the workouts alone will get me back into things.

Besides that, Microfest is coming up! It's going to be in Forest Park again this year and the list of breweries look amazing, 75 of them to be exact! There are four sessions, two of them on Saturday. A group of us are going to both sessions on Saturday, I'll let you know how it is!

Cheers!

I don't think any man has understood any woman since the beginning of time.

Link of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment